Meeting 19th August 2014

Quite a small meeting this week but that is not unusual at this time of the year, however, one member did comment that for only 8 people we filled the room really well.  So pat on the back to those who attended.

One of our members is due to read out a short poem at her brother's wedding soon and asked if she could test it out in the meeting.  It was suggested, and agreed, that we could do a group evaluation to give a lot more feedback.

This is the first time that I have been involved in one of these and it relied on good management by the Toastmaster Of The Evening to keep it flowing well.  Each member made some helpful comments which were very well received which meant that we all felt we could offer good suggestions without feeling as though we were putting too much pressure on the recipient. 

The poem was then re-read after taking on some of the advice and was definitely improved so a very useful exercise and one which we might repeat in the future.

The rest of the evening went well with some good inspirational speeches and fun Table Topics.

There was a bit of panic at the beginning of the evening because a few members couldn't park due to a large party at the Hotel and so were there a bit later than intended although still arrived before the meeting began.  It would be helpful if members used the D71.org website to let the committee know they are coming and they can also sign up for roles before they arrive to make sure they get one, especially if they have a plan for their Competent Leadership manual.

It always surprises me how, when I get home from Toastmasters after what is, essentially, a formal and structured night, I always feel as though I have had good fun. 

I was thinking this through and have come to the conclusion that although the meeting is formal it is very rewarding as it can challenge us in many ways.  There is always plenty of time for social interaction too during the breaks and in the bar afterwards - another reason to come along ten minutes earlier to have a chat and relax.

By the way... a few people mentioned that they were unable to leave comments on previous posts and I think I have sorted this so feel free to comment, even you just say "Glad I went" or "I will make the next meeting".  Feel free to contact me via toastmastersheartofengland@gmail.com so I don't feel as though I am talking to myself  :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts